TANDEM SKYDIVING with Skyline
The great news is that two alumni members & two trustees have already expressed an interest in participating this summer...we want a team of Brokerage supporters to jump for us if we can!
- We will offer a limited number of registrations which will be reimbursed and then you can jump for free – first come; first served.
- No set day; no set airfield – jumps available all year round from a variety of locations (including Cambridgeshire and Oxfordshire which have good availability) with Skyline.
- The Brokerage will reimburse the individual registration fee of c. £70 if jumpers raise a minimum £600 per person, not including Gift Aid (limited number available).
- Alternatively, jumpers can pay the non-refundable c.£70 registration fee themselves, and raise a minimum £325 on line (from which the Brokerage will receive c. £140).
- No pre jump day training required; weight restriction varies (c. max. 15 stone).
- The Brokerage advises participants to take out personal accident insurance cover for this event.
LONDON DUATHLON - Sunday 18th September 2016
As this was such a success in 2015, with 3 teams and 2 individuals participating (10 people in total) - raising over £5,000 - we have free places available again this year. First come, first served!
- Minimum fundraising is £350 per place (individual or team) for a Brokerage guaranteed place, not including Gift Aid.
- If you miss out on one of our guaranteed places, you can still take part by buying your place, and raise as much as you are able to raise. Cost of a place increases the closer to the event date you get and can be over £100 depending on the option selected.
- In 2016, there are four different Duathlon challenges to appeal to athletes of all abilities:
- Half Duathlon (32k) – the perfect entry level or speed challenge (5km run, 22km bike, 5km run
- Duathlon (59k) – the blue riband duathlon distance (10km run, 44km bike, 5km run)
- Ultra Duathlon (107k) – geared for experienced endurance athletes, with limited number of participants (20km run, 77km bike, 10km run)
- Duathlon Relay (59k) – take on the challenge with your friends / colleagues. Teams of 2 or 3 people permitted covering the same distance as the Duathlon (one leg each for a three person team or one person does both runs and one person the cycle for a two person team).
- This year, if cycling's not your thing, you can also do a 10km run as your challenge.
- Contact Jo Turrell, [email protected], to express your interest.
Registration instructions for the London Duathlon 2016 - coming soon!
LONDON to BRIGHTON CYCLE RIDE 2016 - Sunday 11th September 2016
We have a number of guaranteed places and will offer these places to our supporters with a minimum fundraising target of £100 per rider, although it would be fantastic if each rider could raise at least £200 in this, our 20th anniversary year, by asking just 10 people to sponsor them £20 each.
Once these places have been used, additional places may be available direct from Do it for Charity, but the participant will have to pay the £40 registration fee themselves.
- You will start the challenge in South London, travel through Mitcham, Carshalton, Chipstead, Banstead, Haywards Heath and finally to Brighton having completed 54 miles!
- No previous experience is required however preparation for this event is highly recommended, and with a bit of training completing this event should easily be within your capabilities. The spirit of the event is 'taking part' not 'winning' so you go as fast or as slow as you like!
- This cycle ride is a fully supported event, with the organisers (Do it for Charity) there on the day. There’s an outdoor catering lunch at the half way point on the route.
- There’s two water stops either side of the lunch break and there’s also mechanical support throughout the route, in case of punctures or incidents.
- Start Point - Clapham Common, London
- Registration - 06:30 to 09:00
- Finish Point - Madeira Drive, Brighton
- The organisers provide a coach/van return service to Clapham Common, at a cost to the rider of £25 per person, or you can find alternative means of returning to your home.
- Contact Jo, email@example.com, to express your interest.
DO YOUR OWN THING
So you don’t fancy throwing yourself out of a aeroplane, cycling to Brighton or a Run-Bike-Run? Do your own fundraising challenge! Whether it's a bake sale, a marathon, a quiz night or something else, you can still donate or raise funds for us via the Just Giving website.
How do I register?
To take part in tandem skydiving, there are places available all year round and at a choice of airfields. If you are interested, please email Jo, [email protected], confirming your commitment to raising the minimum fundraising target of £600 per person, excluding Gift Aid. Please note this does not secure a skydiving place, as charities are unable to reserve places. We will confirm whether we can offer to reimburse your registration fee (which will only be refunded once you reach the £600 minimum fundraising target). Even if we can't reimburse your place, you are still welcome to pay for your own non-reimbursed registration and raise as much as you can for the Brokerage.
Register here: http://www.doitforcharity.com/ and make sure you name the Brokerage Citylink as the charity you wish to support when you click on Choose Charity. Then click on Choose Event, then on Parachuting and Skydiving, and the rest is self-explanatory.
Once registered, you can then set up your own fundraising page on the Just Giving website (see below). If you don’t reach the minimum target of £395 (including the deposit) you don’t jump! Simple!
Please note that we recommend you take out personal accident insurance if participating in a tandem skydive.
To make fundraising as simple as possible we have partnered with Just Giving. Just Giving handle all payments to the Brokerage, retrieve Gift Aid from HMRC, and provide a very efficient way for you to keep in touch with your supporters, family and friends.
First, visit our page on the Just Giving site.
Then click on the Fundraise for Us button. Then on the Organised Event button, and then select one of the four event options listed.
Once you have set up your own Justgiving page, decide on your fundraising target, and off you go! Make sure the page is as personal and interesting as possible, add a photo of yourself (training or not!) and write ‘your story’ with the reasons and why you are raising funds for us. Email the link provided to friends, family and colleagues.
There are all sorts of other ways you can raise funds as well of course – cake bakes, quiz nights, dinners, matched funds from your workplace. But this is a good way to start.
Top fundraising tip – see if you can get the first person to sponsor you to give a high value gift – it can inspire the ones who follow to do likewise!
So you don’t fancy throwing yourself out of an aeroplane, cycling to Brighton or a Run-Bike-Run? Then you can still donate or raise funds for us via the Just Giving website.
First visit our Just Giving page.
Click on the Fundraise for Us button, followed by the Personal Challenge button.
Or if you prefer the comfort of your armchair above all else, just click on the Donate button!
How will the money I raise be used?
With more funding we can:
- Reach more young people from disadvantaged backgrounds, schools or boroughs in London and inspire and motivate them to reach their potential.
- Deliver outreach sessions in London’s schools and colleges where we don’t already work.
- Influence policy makers on employability, social mobility and diversity issues relevant to Brokerage candidates.
- Provide practical advice, support and information to students who approach us, through telephone, website and face-to-face meetings.
- £10 provides a young person with a careers advice session by telephone, £25 covers a pre-interview briefing session face-to-face, and £350 pays for a half-day employability skills workshop in a school or college.
In December 2015 we raised over £18,000 helping us support more young people with key employability skills to help them to reach their career potential.
We are hugely grateful to our two sources of matched funding - Berwin Leighton Paisner and The Childhood Trust - whose generosity enabled us to reach students in London who do not currently receive our support.
If you missed the Big Give, you can still donate to our charity via our Just Giving page. We welcome all donations - large or small - corporate or individual - regular or one-off.
In 2016 we will be launching more fundraising challenges, including a special 20th anniversary challenge! Please contact Jo, [email protected], for more information.