This week, Nomura hosted a 'Women into Banking' workshop for over 40 of our female candidates aimed at young women interested in the banking sector.
The exclusive event, hosted by the Japanese investment bank, invited students registered with the Brokerage to find out more about careers in the sector. Those with an interest in the financial services industries often do not know the breadth of opportunities available, nor how to access them most effectively.
“It was a great experience, and I learnt about new sectors which was great”
The diverse group of nearly 40 young women from Years 12 and 13 as well as some undergraduates, all attend - or attended - state schools in some of London's most disadvantaged boroughs.
This event addressed the need for banking industry insight workshops for female students from less advantaged schools or boroughs interested in the City of London, but needing more information and inspiration about careers available.
“It was amazing!”
Although City employers are increasingly responding to the need for fair access to workplace opportunities, many state school students without family connections don’t have the opportunity to visit professional environments such as investment banks or talk directly with staff in such professions.
Opportunities like this workshop, developed and hosted by Nomura, are vital as an insight to the world of work and add a boost to CVs and UCAS forms for the young people attending.
The programme for the afternoon included:
• Networking lunch: a great opportunity to meet representatives from the business
• CV and cover letter workshop: useful tips about how to write a covering letter and ensure your CV really stands out.
• 'Roles in banking' group exercise: a chance to learn more about different roles within the business
• 'Dragons Den' pitches: Challence activity putting together a short presentation as part of a team- an opportunity to practice public speaking and team working skills!
Comments from the students highlighted what they got out of the event including:
• "Loved knowing more about the jobs that are available within banks."
• "Enjoyed the CV workshop and developed a better insight of how to apply for jobs."
• "Able to practice public speaking and group work to develop team building skills."
• "All the information was very useful for anyone wanting to go into investment banking."
In addition to workshops such as this, the Brokerage runs a variety of other schemes providing opportunities to complete paid work experience and internships across banking, insurance, law and consultancy sectors.
For more information, please contact Melissa Lucien - [email protected]