Do you want the opportunity to apply for a paid internship during the summer after your A levels or equivalent studies?
Do you want to find out more about a career in financial and professional services?
Do you want to build your professional network & improve your future employability?
The City Business Traineeship Programme is a chance to gain paid work experience and real responsibility - not just work shadowing!
To read about the students and employers who participated in 2016, click here.
With more than 100 opportunities across banking and the financial services, IT, insurance, legal and business administration sectors there are a wide variety of placements available. The placements are between 6-13 weeks and are paid at the going rate for the job, which is up to £450 a week.
A unique opportunity for talented young Londoners to gain real experience, real responsibility and real pay after their sixth form studies.
To be eligible for this programme you need to:
• Study in a City fringe borough - City of London, Camden, Hackney, Islington, Lambeth, Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Westminster
• Live in one of the following boroughs - City of London, Camden, Hackney, Islington, Lambeth, Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Westminster, Barking and Dagenham, Brent, Greenwich, Haringey, Lewisham, Newham or Waltham Forest or live in another London borough and be eligible for free school meals or live in another London borough and be the first in your generation to be going to university.
• Be in your final year of A levels or equivalent
• Have a minimum of grade B in English and Maths at GCSE
• Be eligible to work in the UK
If you meet some, but not all, of the criteria above, there are many other opportunities that The Brokerage may be able to offer you and you can still register with us.
• Year 12 students wishing to access opportunities in the City can register with us and if you meet eligibility criteria for the CBT programme, will be invited to sign up for the 2018 programme.
• Year 13 students interested in accessing school leaver and apprenticeship opportunities, but not eligible for CBT are encouraged to register with us to gain access to other placements.
Candidates for the City Business Traineeship Programme should be:
• Interested in gaining experience in financial services, IT, administration, marketing, the legal services or similar professional industries.
• Enthusiastic about participating in workshops on CV presentation and interview techniques.
• Willing to listen to tips and advice about attitudes, appearance and job-finding skills.
Once you have registered with us, we will:
• Give you honest and realistic feedback about your job prospects
• Provide you with job finding support and guidance
• Put you forward for suitable work experience placements
• Offer you encouragement and support before and during your placement
1. Visit our "Sign Up" section and enter your personal details. Make sure that these are accurate, as you will be required to provide evidence at a later stage. You will get a confirmation email and start receiving news and opportunities from The Brokerage.
2. Book a registration appointment with The Brokerage. Look out for regular emails inviting you to book a registration appointment with the team. We need to meet candidates in person before we can consider you for some opportunities, including paid internships and jobs.
3. Attend your registration appointment at The Brokerage. We will ask you to bring proof of your eligibility to work in the UK, your address and your academics, which we must see before we can consider you for many opportunities. This is also your chance to meet our team for the first time and start discussing your needs and future ambitions.
The City of London Corporation is a diverse organisation with three main aims - to support and promote the City as a world leader in international finance and business services; to provide the highest quality local government services for the Square Mile; and to provide valued services to London the nation as a whole.
The first and third aims are underpinned by the City Corporation's commitment to support the regeneration of its neighbouring communities. The City of London shares its borders with some of the country's most deprived boroughs where unemployment is high, despite the considerable employment opportunities in the City.
The City of London Business Traineeship programme brings together these two aims: help the City to attract high calibre, well motivated staff ables to meet its skills needs, whilst also looking to local sources to attract future members of the workforce.
The Brokerage Citylink has delivered the City of London Business Traineeship programme on behalf of the City of London Corporation since 2000. The programme is fully funded by the City Corporation.
Disclaimer and privacy:
- The Brokerage Citylink is a registered charity (number 1059173)
- All contact details, information and personal documents provided by candidates will be only used and stored by the Brokerage Citylink, and never given to anyone else without prior permission.
- Anonymised demographic information will be used for reporting purposes.
- Candidates can request to unsubscribe from Brokerage communications at any time, requests can be made by email, telephone or post.
- Full Child Protection, Data Protection and Health & Safety policies are available on request. All Brokerage Citylink staff undertake full CRB checks.
- The Brokerage Citylink reserves the right to discontinue working with any candidate at any time, under their own discretion and without prior notice.
- Candidates will be required to read and sign a full undertaking agreement when they register in person.
41% of global foreign exchange trading takes place in the UK
The Brokerage has provided more than 1,200 paid internships over the past 12 years
Tell me more facts